I may or may not have set off the smoke alarm making it, but Derek and I agree that the salmon I made tonight is a new favorite.
Before I get to that recipe, here’s what I ate today:
- slice whole wheat toast
- peanut butter
- raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- Bolthouse Farms Classic Ranch for dipping (Love this stuff! It’s made with yogurt.)
- Trader Joe’s Chicken Gyoza Potstickers
- low-sodium soy sauce mixed with Sriracha for dipping
- tortilla chips
- fresh salsa
- maple-glazed salmon
- oven roasted asparagus (tossed in olive oil with salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese)
Dinner was quick and easy tonight. I will definitely make this combination when I have a busy week. The entire meal took me about 25 minutes. I cooked the asparagus for 8 minutes on 425 degrees to start. While it was cooking, I put the spice rub on the salmon and started boiling water for the couscous. Then I finished the couscous while the salmon cooked. Aside from the spices, there are few ingredients and everything cooked very fast. It’s a good option when you don’t have a ton of time.
Now for the maple-glazed salmon recipe. I substituted a few things, but I followed this recipe from Cooking Light. Next time, I will probably grill the salmon instead of broiling it. The food was delicious, but I set off the smoke alarm. Fail. It was my first time broiling anything at our new place, and it apparently has a sensitive alarm. Whoops.
Maple-Glazed Salmon from Cooking Light
- Spice mix (all teaspoons- 1 paprika, 1/2 chili powder, 1/4 cayenne pepper*, 1/4 cumin, 1/4 sugar*, 1 salt)
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
*I used cayenne pepper for added spiciness. The recipe calls for brown sugar, but I didn’t have any on-hand so I used a little bit of regular sugar instead.
1. Pre-heat broiler. (If you’re like me and don’t have a broiler pan, a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet works just as well.)
2. Rub spice mix over the salmon fillet.
3. Broil fish for ~5 to 6 minutes
4. Brush maple syrup on salmon filets.
5. Broil fish for ~1 more minute.